Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday - Bus ride back to Cairo

Not much going on today, another 9 hour bus ride to Cairo.  I am actually writing this on the bus.  Pretty comfortable, fortunately nobody is in the seat in front of me, if they were, with the seat laid back, I would have the top of their head in my face.  I may get lucky for the rest of the trip. (evening update: that didn't last long, and I did have his head in my face for 7 hours) Some of you have wondered how I do this blog. For those of who aren't skip this next section!

I did take my little laptop with me on this trip and I use the program "Windows Live Writer".  It allows me to write the entries and insert photos wherever I am and stores them for later uploading.  Usually that is in the hotel room each night.

P1000175a

Most hotels have WiFi access now.  Not always in the room, but usually in the lobby.  If a hotel doesn't, we can usually find an Internet cafe that has WiFi.  For the price of a drink or a sandwich, we can hop online to upload the blog, download our email, and check the news. (Rain in Twain Harte!)

P1010129a

As we have met a lot of people on this trip, many are traveling by themselves. Some for many months.  One thing that helps them is they are all "connected" with home.  All have their cell phones with the appropriate card, and all "instant message" family. 

Got into the hotel tonight, yes another 9 hours on the bus.  6:30AM is our van pickup to the western desert.  Heard it is quite primitive, you may not hear from us for 4 days.

Yes, I admit it, I miss Starbucks.